Support for English learners
Would you like to learn English? We offer online and face to face classes for people seeking asylum and refugees. To ask about joining a class click on the link below to send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
English Classes Time Table
|Day and time||Subject||Location||Provider|
|MONDAY – 9:30 – 11:00 am||Conversation by Geoff||Trinity Centre||WRC|
|MONDAY – 12:00 -2:00 pm||Beginner & Intermediate by Jane||Trinity Centre||Space4U|
|MONDAY 1:30 – 2:30 pm||Grammar by Marie||Online||WRC|
|Tuesday 10:00 – 11:30 am||Conversation by Lizzie||Trinity Centre||Adult Learning Wales|
|Wednesday 12:30 – 2:30pm am||Conversation by Barrie, Zaina & Geoff||Trinity Centre||Speak to Me 2|
|Thursday 10:00 – 11:00 am||Grammar & Culture by Chris & Marie||Online||WRC|
|Thursday 12:00 -2:00 pm||Beginner & Intermediate by Jane||Trinity Centre||Space4U|
|Thursday 5:00 – 7:00 pm||Conversation||Trinity Centre||Star|
|Friday 9:00 – 10:00 am||Grammar & Culture by Chris & Marie||Online||WRC|
|Friday 10:00 – 12:00 pm||Literacy (Beginner) by Charlotte||WRC Cardiff||WRC|
|Friday 1:00 – 3:00 pm||Conversation by Mike||Trinity Centre||WRC|
|Friday 1:00 – 3:00 pm||Beginners by Mel||Trinity Centre||WRC|
Free Online Resources – External Links
Welsh Refugee Council is not responsible for the accuracy and update of the information below:
- British Council – Learn English through videos, listening activities, texts and grammar exercises for ESOL learners at every level.
- Future Learn – Future Learn courses are free and start at various times of the year, but you can pay for the assessments if you wish.
- Learn English– Discover new work and study opportunities worldwide with a range of online English courses designed to improve your English speaking and writing skills.
- Basic English 1: Elementary An excellent, free course beginning in April 2020. Learn basic English for everyday situations and improve your listening skills with this online course.
- Basic English 2: Pre-Intermediate – Develop your English for use in different everyday situations and build more confidence in your listening skills.
- Exploring English: Language and Culture – This course for learners of English looks at British culture and examines English in use to help you improve your language skills.
- English Pronunciation in a Global World– Free course beginning in April 2020. In this course, you will improve your English pronunciation skills and learn about speaking English in today’s globalised world.
BBC Learning English Online
- For English Speakers
- For Oromo speakers
- For Amharic speakers
- For Mandarin speakers
- For Gujarati speakers
- For Marathi speakers
- For Punjabi speakers
- For Korean speakers
- For Telugu speakers
- For Thai speakers
- For Tigrinya speakers
- Dictionary with pronunciation: Cambridge Dictionary
- Education and Training Foundation Resource
- Learners Dictionary
- British Council: /https://esol.britishcouncil.org/content/learners/skills/listening-0
- BBC : http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/
- English Interactive: https://englishinteractive.net/listening.html
- ESL Listening: https://www.esl-lab.com/intermediate/ (Intermediate level)
- ESL Listening: https://www.esl-lab.com/difficult/ (Advanced level)
- ESOL Courses: http://www.esolcourses.com/content/topicsmenu/listening.html
- English Interactive: https://englishinteractive.net/vocabulary.html
- Player FM: https://player.fm/series/elt-podcast-intermediate-conversations-for-efl-and-esl
- BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0836tyb
- British Council: https://esol.britishcouncil.org/content/learners/skills/reading-3
- English Interactive https://englishinteractive.net/reading.html
- News in Level: http://www.newsinlevels.com/products/boys-broken-neck-level-3/
- https://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/courses/elc/studyzone/330/reading/ (Lower Intermediate Level)
- https://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/courses/elc/studyzone/410/reading/ (Intermediate Level)
- https://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/courses/elc/studyzone/490/reading/ (Upper Intermediate Level)
Links for University preparation
- An Intermediate Guide to Writing in English for University Study (Just started but you can join now)
- University of Reading
- Improve your academic English skills further, learning about critical analysis, using sources, avoiding plagiarism and more.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study
- University of Reading
- Learn how to use English for study at university or college and develop your writing skills, vocabulary and grammar.
- Understanding IELTS: Techniques for English Language Tests
- British Council
- Improve your English and prepare for tests, such as IELTS reading, writing, speaking and listening, with this free online course. English practice for University
An asylum seeker’s blog /message about Corona Virus
You may also be interested in this blog from an asylum seeker about coronavirus and anxiety.
High-level education textbooks in a range of disciplines are now free to access:
You can access a number of higher education textbooks online during the coronavirus outbreak. All 700 textbooks currently on Cambridge Core are now available in HTML format until the end of May.
Free online access for CUP books: https://www.cambridge.org/